News
  • 홈
  • News & Info
  • News

Gangdong-gu was Appointed as World Green Ambassador! $ Gangdong-gu was appointed as a World Green Ambassador at the Houses of Parliament, London, the U.K. on the 9th.

12-06-2017

Gangdong-gu has been vitalizing eco-friendly urban agriculture through the one-home-one-garden project. Last year, it was selected as Gold Winner at the 2016 Green Apple Awards for Environmental Best Practice, one of the world’s four environmental awards for its contribution to environmental protection. This year, it was appointed as a Green World Ambassador to promote successful environmental projects worldwide.

The appointment ceremony of Green World Ambassadors was held at the Houses of Parliament, London, the U.K. at 7:30pm, on the 9th (local time).

Green World Ambassadors promote successful environmental projects and take the initiative in environmental protection in international society by conducting environmental protection campaigns, forming eco-friendly cities, and aiming for sustainable development for coexistence between humanity and nature. In addition, its award-winning history and activities as a Green World Ambassador will be recorded in The Green Book and its eco-friendly activities will be widely promoted to the world’s renowned universities, companies, and environmental groups.

Gangdong-gu first introduced urban agriculture policy to Seoul in 2009 and played an important role in promoting urban agriculture. Now, Gangdong-gu is aiming to attract citizens’ attention to eco-friendly urban agriculture and providing full support for their participation through a variety of projects. It operates Seoul’s largest eco-friendly gardens (121,279㎡), revitalizes local food through Farmers’ Market, holds an urban agriculture festival and expo, and encourages eco-friendly urban beekeeping. In addition, it distributes indoor/outdoor garden boxes and rooftop gardens, establishes gardens in idle gardens, provides children’s gardens, and operates an urban agriculture portal site.

The Mayor of Gangdong-gu Lee Hae-sik said, "I’m honored to be appointed as a Green World Ambassador. I will do my best to promote sustainable urban agriculture worldwide for coexistence of humanity and nature. In addition, I will make efforts to develop Gangdong-gu as an international eco-friendly city through various eco-friendly policies and projects and take the initiative in improving awareness of agriculture by promoting the multifunctionality of urban agriculture.”

* Related Article : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/06/115_231000.html