Board
  • 홈
  • News & Info
  • Board

This bulletin board is a space for posting memories in Gangdong-gu or for making suggestions. Postings that contain obscene language, violence, slander, commercial materials or election-related content may be deleted without prior notice. We appreciate your cooperation in creating a sound and pleasant environment.

Writer Son Jiyeon
Phone number ********
Email
Subject "It was possible because it was directly managed by the local government." Go to the "Ribbon Center" in Gangdong-gu.

Seven to eight small dogs run hard on one side of the cafe full of coffee aroma. At first glance, it feels like a dog cafe, but this is a pet distribution center directly managed by Gangdong-gu, Seoul. The Ribbon Center, which means reborn as a new family, opened on November 24, 2017. They do things to find their families while protecting dogs abandoned or lost to their pets. This year, Homecoming Day, attended by adopted abandoned dogs and their families, will also be held from the 24th to the 25th of next month.
Ribbon Center was the only direct management center in the country when Gangdong-gu first established it. Since then, several local governments have benchmarked ribbon centers. Currently, Gangdong-gu and Nowon-gu are operating direct management centers in Seoul.
The effect of direct management by local governments is clear. In the case of consignment operation, it is difficult to establish a long-term plan, but if the district office directly operates it, systematic abandoned dog management becomes possible. The adoption rate and dismissal rate, which increase every year, are the obvious results. The adoption rate of ribbon centers was only 69.9% in 2018, but it rose to 96.8% in 2019. Of the 123 people admitted to the center, 62 out of 64, excluding 59 who returned to their families, found a new family. Heo Yoon-seok, the official in charge, said on the 24th, "The adoption rate last year and this year is also high at 92 to 93 percent."
Of the 522 animals that have been here over the past four years, 222 out of 256 animals, excluding about half (266 animals) returned to their original owners, have completed the sale or are currently undergoing the sale process. In other words, 8 to 9 out of 10 abandoned dogs who came to the center found a new family. Another strength of direct management is that it is possible to find a person who abandoned his dog with an electronic chip built into an abandoned dog and quickly file a complaint. Abandoned dogs admitted to the Ribbon Center will stay here for up to two months and receive services such as behavior correction, beauty, and disease treatment. Neutralization surgery and internal device insertion performed in Seoul and autonomous districts are also performed. One of the things the center boasts is a "dog ID picture." All photos posted on the website are taken in professional studios. Pretty pictures are delivered to the new family on the day the abandoned dog is adopted.
However, abandoned dogs that have not been adopted within this period are moved to facilities and euthanized. The mixed dog found near the Cheonho-dong National Road Mansion ended in September, but has not found an adopter so far. "I'm always shaking because I'm scared," said Park Sung-bin, the official, adding, "I'm a gentle and quiet child, but I haven't found an adopter yet. "I hope I can find a new family," he said.
The ribbon center conducts the adoption process in a difficult way. Even if you reveal your intention to adopt by looking at the picture, not everyone can get a pre-sale. After visiting the cafe on the first floor of the center twice to observe abandoned dogs running around, you must not change your mind to meet the abandoned dogs you chose on your third visit. Park said, "Once abandoned dogs go through the hands of many people, they can act abnormally, such as biting their tails under stress." Even if you choose a dog, you will be confirmed as an adopter after at least 20 days of consideration. Adoption education should also be received a total of 7 times, 2 and 5 times before and after adoption, respectively. A district official said, "In order for adopted dogs and their families to adapt to each other and lower the dismissal rate, the education period is somewhat long, but it is mandatory to receive it."
The Ribbon Center conducts a training course for dog behavior experts twice a year, and also conducts the Seodanggae (your dog), a dog problem behavior correction education for Gangdong-gu residents. Officer Heo said, "I visited the ribbon center to adopt a dog."There are quite a few residents looking for new jobs, including dog behavior experts, he said. A district official said, "Ribbon Center is operated with pride as the first direct management center in the country," adding, "We will continue to make various efforts from the rescue of abandoned dogs to adoption and improve residents' awareness of pets."