News
  • 홈
  • News & Info
  • News

Farewell ceremony for the former head of Gangdong-gu, Lee Jung-hun, after his four years of service

29-06-2022

Farewell ceremony for the former head of Gangdong-gu, Lee Jung-hun, after his four years of service

- Pursued an inclusive city where all residents live a shared happy life — made the best achievement in external evaluation

- The 7th popularly selected government achieved various progresses including developing a foundation for a self-sufficient city, providing space-based welfare and achieving interregional balanced development

Lee Jung-hun, former head of Gangdong-gu, who has led the 7th popularly elected government, is finishing his term after the farewell ceremony on the 30th.

On the 30th, Gangdong-gu plans to hold the Farewell Ceremony for the 19th head of Gangdong-gu, Lee Jung-hun, in appreciation for his dedication and hard work in administrative service.

For the last four years of his term since his inauguration in July, 2018, Lee has aimed at creating “an inclusive Gangdong-gu” as an administrative goal, created future growth engines for Gangdong-gu, and focused on promoting balanced development between regions to ensure all residents enjoy the benefits. 

Firstly, he launched a major project called “Three Hearts Project” compassing the conventional Gangdong Advanced Business Complex, Godeok Biz Valley and Gangdong General Industrial Complex which are under construction. This project has been evaluated as a core driver for Gangdong-gu to become a self-sufficient city from being the bad town, further becoming a financial hub in the eastern part of the Seoul metropolitan region. Gangdong-gu expects that the completion of the Three Hearts Project will generate an induced economic effect worth more than KRW 20 trillion and reinforce its self-sufficiency by creating nearly 110,000 jobs.

Along with the Three Hearts Project, Lee has been committed to creating a metropolitan transportation network system in response to an increasing demand attributable to a number of reconstruction projects in progress. During his term, the subway extension project for Line 5, 8 and 9 and a highway construction connecting Sejong and Pocheon were vigorously pushed forward. A subway-linked bus route continuously expanded, substantially improving transport accessibility.

For balanced development between regions, the old downtown in Cheonho-dong underwent improvement on a large scale as part of a project of creating “Beloved Street, Gucheonmyeon-ro.” Moreover, Gangdong-gu has remarkably enhanced accessibility to life convenience public services by expanding social overhead capital (SOC) infrastructures including libraries and sports facilities throughout the region.

A number of space innovation projects emphasized by the 7th popularly elected government, in particular, are evaluated that they have greatly contributed to improving living conditions of Gangdong-gu residents by applying impressive designs to public facilities and spaces in consideration of users’ styles and psychological aspect. For instance, “Happiness School” for creating students’ hideouts, “Book Cafe,” a multicultural center in neighborhood, “Child-Mom Gangdong,” a child care community center, and “Dream Smile,” a shared space for first and third generations are the favorite spots of most residents.

The Labor Rights Center and the Mobile Labor Center, which have been launched directly under the municipal government for the first time in Korea, have served as a foundation for a leap forward in promoting workers’ rights. In recognition of such achievement, Gangdong-gu has awarded the Minister's Award at the Korea Knowledge Award.

Even in the unprecedented COVID-19 crisis, Gangdong-gu has made the most remarkable achievement in a number of external evaluation by acquiring the excellence S grade in Combined Evaluation of Local Governments (2021) and the Excellence Grade in innovation evaluation (2020); successfully registering 57 Ministry of the Interior and Safety-authorized innovative projects (2nd place); being selected as the excellent district in the first Korea Welfare Project for Persons With Disabilities Evaluation (2020); and winning one Prime Minister's Award and 38 Minister's Awards.

Lee Jung-hun, former head of Gangdong-gu, said, “I put my best effort to keep the promises I made at the time of inauguration four years ago. I would like to express my gratitude to all who have helped me in various aspects during my term. I will always wish the best for the growth and development of the region as a member of a community who loves Gangdong-gu.”